Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Vacations, humidity(?), and making myself write

Having just returned from the great north west - Oregon, I am saddened to find myself back in the 98% humidity of the North Carolina summer! We were on the shuttle last night from the airport along with another family who were returning from Mississippi. They were thrilled with the drop in humidity! We were expounding on the attributes of Oregon, and the mom asked what the negatives were - I really couldn't easily identify any - other than the cost of living was considerably higher I think. I need to check that. I do know that the real estate prices are high compared to NC - but that is probably why everyone keeps moving here!!!

Week 1 of EDU 743 asked us to consider the role of writing, and thinking, and reflecting. as I was considering my response I realized that I have relegated writing, or journaling, to the place of wind sprints, sit-ups, and regular yoga - all things that I know are beneficial, and that will make me better, stronger, and more able - but that I keep setting aside for either greater priority items, or just things that are not as taxing.
I have always thought that the hardest part of a workout was walking into the gym, once there it wasn't a big deal. Writing for myself is the same, once there, I actually enjoy it, but getting there - oh my!

2 comments:

  1. I had not thought about writing through this lense, but you are so right. It is a lot like getting to the gym, isn't it. That paragraph would make a great short essay if expanded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb-

    do you think I should try to build this or the Avalon Lane stories? I am not sure what direction I would take this?

    becca

    ReplyDelete